Switzerland and Austria
Stretching across central Europe, Switzerland and Austria sit at the very heart of the continent with their seemingly impenetrable mountain landscapes.
Though neighbours, these countries are distinctly diverse from one another, which becomes all the more apparent when travelling through them. With different cultures, histories, cuisines, currencies and languages, what they do share in common are the beautiful Alps. From mountain lakes and valleys to cosmopolitan cities, both countries have a wealth of touring possibilities to entice visitors. Themes here can include historical music trails, train journeys, food and drink routes, pilgrimage trails and walking tours.
Though they can be visited individually or together as a trip, both offer fantastic touring opportunities throughout the continent, where road and flight networks are such that almost any other European country or region can be easily reached.
Highlights of Switzerland and Austria
- The historic capital cities of Vienna and Bern
- The beautiful mountains of Switzerland including the Matterhorn, Jungfrau, Eiger, Pilatus and Rigi
- Religious sites including the Reformation Wall (Geneva), Melk Abbey (Melk, Austria) and the Convent of St. Gall (St. Gallen, Switzerland)
- The lakeshore Swiss cities of Lucerne, Geneva, Zurich, Lausanne and Locarno
- Music trails in Austria such as Mozart, Schubert, Strauss and Haydn
- Fascinating museums including Sigmund Freud (Vienna), the International Clock Museum (La Chaux-de-Fonds, Switzerland) and the Swiss Open Air Museum of Ballenberg (near Interlaken, Switzerland)
- Cruise the crystal lakes such as Achen (Austria), Constance (Switzerland), the Sound of Music country (Salzkammergut, Austria) and Lugano (Switzerland)
- Wonderful walking opportunities
- Iconic landmarks such as the Golden Rooftop (Innsbruck, Austria), Chapel Bridge (Lucerne, Switzerland) and the world's tallest fountain in Geneva, Switzerland
- Leisurely cruises on the River Danube
- Historic palaces and castles such as Hohensalzburg (Salzburg), Château de Chillon (Montreux, Switzerland), Schönbrunn Palace (Vienna) and Castle of Chenaux (Estavayer-le-Lac, Switzerland)
- Spectacular train journeys within each country including the Glacier Express (Switzerland), the Zillertalbahn (Austria) and the Chocolate Train (Switzerland)
- Beautiful regions of Austria including the Ziller Valley, the Tyrol and the Austrian lakes
- Authentic food experiences such as producers of schnapps, cheese, chocolates and wine
Tailor-making your tour
Whatever your preferred hotel standard or budget, we carefully select the accommodation for your tour. With a wealth of contacts from well-appointed hostels to 5 star luxury hotels, we are able to tailor-make your tour.
Add to this the experience our team has in operating itineraries to this region: we are able to offer suggestions for attraction visits, meal arrangements, local experiences to give a flavour of the region, knowledgeable local guides and events as examples.
For more information on the above and to discuss your tour requirements further, do please contact us.